Wednesday, November 26, 2008

These rocked my world!!!

As many of you know I am allergic to wheat and sugar and I have been off of both of them about 2 months. Needless to say I have been dying for a cookie. I finally found a recipes that I liked. I have made them twice now and have savored every wheat-free and sugar-free bite. And they are super easy.
*it makes a wet sticky dough*

Agave-sweetened Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup almonds
21⁄4 cups whole-grain spelt flour
3 cups pressed oats
3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, wrappers reserved
1½ cups blue agave syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips

Directions

Set oven to preheat to 350 F. Meanwhile, place the almonds on an ungreased cookie sheet and put sheet in preheating oven. When oven is up to temperature, about 7 minutes later, remove nuts. Chop coarsely and set aside.

Combine the spelt flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

In a bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually pour in the agave syrup and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Add flour mixture and mix to combine. Stir in the raisins or chocolate chips.

Grease cookie sheet with reserved butter wrappers. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheets. Flatten cookies slightly. A standard-sized sheet should accommodate 12 cookies.

Bake cookies for 12 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes on sheet, then move to a counter or cooling rack.

Makes 48 cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of an allergy to wheat, but to SUGAR? Are you serious?!

Ashley said...

Unfortunately yes my body hates sugar. I am not severely allergic it is just enough to be annoying. And it is hard to stay away from it.